School starts on Monday, and I feel nowhere near ready. My
room is still chaos… it looks like a tornado hit it! There are still three
large aquariums I need to figure out where to put and what to do with them…the
boxed dead dissection rats, and paper, packets I need to sort. I also need to
clean the back of the classroom and put the desks where I want them…the trouble
is my room is so awkwardly shaped, things have to go in weird places to fit
right. Like the computer being right in front of the good grease board and the projector being
in front of the crappy one…which is really just the back part of a shower
screwed into the wall.
My lesson plans are taking a long time to write too. How much time for activities is too much time? How do I make an assignment challenging enough to keep them focused but not make it so difficult as to lose them completely? I want them to learn something, and enjoy learning it! I hope that they take something away with them that they can use in their daily lives or own creativity. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge, not just because they have to learn it because they have to be tested on it… or have to chunk it the night before so they can remember just enough to sweep by on an exam.
My biology class is the smallest class I have with only 7 students. Seems like cake right? But they’re the most advanced learners I’ll have…and the only subject that I really teach on my own…and it’s MY subject…MY thing…MY baby! I want to make it exciting. ALL of it! But I have to figure out how I want to teach each unit in that many sections…. For example…the first unit for bio on the online lessons we have say it should talk 4 days to complete…which is exactly how long the unit is…which would be fine if it wasn’t the first day of school and the kids are learning all the rules, expectations, procedures, how to find the classroom, what supplies we have available, how to put together their notebooks…that part will take about 2 days…and then I have 4 days of information to put into to…but I want to take them apart and have them be even more exciting…
I am so scared.
I will probably be at the school all weekend long as long as possible to finish everything up before I cry alone in the teachers’ lounge on the first day of school.
OH but I am learning so much, I really am! There is so much about being a teacher that I didn’t know.
My lesson plans are taking a long time to write too. How much time for activities is too much time? How do I make an assignment challenging enough to keep them focused but not make it so difficult as to lose them completely? I want them to learn something, and enjoy learning it! I hope that they take something away with them that they can use in their daily lives or own creativity. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge, not just because they have to learn it because they have to be tested on it… or have to chunk it the night before so they can remember just enough to sweep by on an exam.
My biology class is the smallest class I have with only 7 students. Seems like cake right? But they’re the most advanced learners I’ll have…and the only subject that I really teach on my own…and it’s MY subject…MY thing…MY baby! I want to make it exciting. ALL of it! But I have to figure out how I want to teach each unit in that many sections…. For example…the first unit for bio on the online lessons we have say it should talk 4 days to complete…which is exactly how long the unit is…which would be fine if it wasn’t the first day of school and the kids are learning all the rules, expectations, procedures, how to find the classroom, what supplies we have available, how to put together their notebooks…that part will take about 2 days…and then I have 4 days of information to put into to…but I want to take them apart and have them be even more exciting…
I am so scared.
I will probably be at the school all weekend long as long as possible to finish everything up before I cry alone in the teachers’ lounge on the first day of school.
OH but I am learning so much, I really am! There is so much about being a teacher that I didn’t know.
1.
Put your name on EVERYTHING
2.
Laminate EVERYTHING
3.
The lamination machine is the coolest machine
ever
4.
Stealing is okay…and sometimes encouraged
5.
Learning to speak to your peers by their last
name…and introducing yourself to others by YOUR last name is tough
No comments:
Post a Comment